Question: How does bacteria change food into a different food?

Keywords: ,

1. Flavors and textures in food are made from all sorts of chemicals (sugars, fats proteins, flavenoids, acids, phenolics and more). Bacteria can break down chemicals to create new ones. Some bacteria and yeasts consume sugars and poop out alcohol. Others poop out acids that make cheeses and vinegars. Yeasts eat sugar and poop out carbon dioxide. This makes beer and champagne fizzy, or it fills bread dough with bubbles so its fluffy when you bake it.
    http://academic.pgcc.edu/~kroberts/Lecture/Chapter%205/05-23_ProductsOfFerment_L.jpg

1

2. As Zoe said, it’s a matter of chemical digestion—whether or not the result is edible or “food,” is a matter of your personal taste (Ewwww—stinky cheese and beer! Gross!)! 🙂

2

3. Gosh ladies, thanks for handling that question for me! Perfect answers!

0

4. Don’t forget the special cheeses that are only made with certain strains of bacteria!

0

Comments

1. Beer is definitely gross. I dont understand why people like such bitter stuff.
    But stinky cheese is delicious! the extra stink ones with the orange rind are made wit the same bacteria that give you foot odor. Yum!

2

2. @Zoe How come it taste good?

0

3. ps…I like beer and stinky cheese! YUM!! 🙂

0